Sunday, March 16, 2014

Update Constance Peters

I have been home now for 3 weeks. Going stir crazy. I go to the cancer clinic once a week for labs, my pick line to be cleaned and to see a doctor that is on the transplant team. We got some Good news last Thursday, they are getting closer to finding a donor. This week I will start doing the pre-treatment for bone marrow transplant. I start on Tuesday with getting all my major labs done and meeting with different doctors for echo, EKG, mammogram, full body x-Ray etc.  The doctor wants to make sure that there wasn't any damage done to my heart by all the chemo Ive been on. The pretesting will take 2 days.  Hopefully by the beginning of April the coordination for the bone marrow transplant will be complete. 

The other good news is my doctor ok'd me to go and see my parents in St. Louis, this up coming weekend, before the surgery. My parents still don't know that I am sick. I've decided that I'm not going to tell them the full story as I feel they can't handle the words I have cancer. I have a hard enough time with everything as I know it would be harder on them. So to them I am having a little surgery. 

Currently, Im on an oral chemo pill but 10 days prior to going back in the hospital they will take me off of it. Then when I go back to the hospital I will get a stronger IV chemo for 7-9 days.  After that I will have 1 day off and then they will begin the transplant the next day. I will be in the hospital 4-6 weeks depending on how my body reacts. Then after the transplant is complete  I will go onto a 100 day very close watch.  During those 100 days I will not be able to be left alone, I can't be further than 30 min from hospital and I will be going back for many, many check ups at the cancer center. 


 Thanks for all the cards and calls. It means a lot to me. I pray I will be strong for the surgery. Never thought I would have trouble eating. Actually ate a 1/2 of grilled cheese today. One day at a time!

No comments: