Saturday, March 8, 2014

Richard Bockwinkel fighting Squamous cell carcinoma

Looking for UPDATES?  Click "Rick Bockwinkel Page" button.


I promised an update...it follows.  But first I want to thank the many MANY people who have called, emailed and texted me their support and prayers.  Each of you bring to heart my favorite movie..."It's a Wonderful Life."


Remember, George: No man is a failure who has friends. (It's a Wonderful Life, Clarence's Book Inscription.)

So...where are we today...? 


At this point, the doctor does not know for 100% sure...but it looks like we are going to be in a fight with (click this link for more info) Squamous cell carcinoma.


This particular form of cancer is QUITE CURABLE.

After two CT scans, two scopes down the nasal passage and a PET Scan, Dr. Kiran Kakarala has recommended outpatient surgery to do a biopsy of the small lump on the base of my tongue.  He wants to be 100% sure of what this is, and this test will guide treatment options.

In preparation for this surgery, this afternoon I visited several more experts; pharmacists, RN for Blood Labs and EKG, and an Anesthesiologist.  All this amounts to the Preanesthesia Testing that needs to be done before this biopsy event.  This one-hour base-of-the-tongue biopsy surgery is scheduled for March 11th; no time set yet.


Before that test, they are trying to schedule a Thallium Stress Test to be sure my cardio system is up to this minor surgery/anesthesia.  They hope to cram this test into my Monday morning, on March 10th.  (Have I ever told you how much I crave Thallium Stress Tests?)


This outpatient surgery on Tuesday will provide information to Dr. Kakarala to share with his Tumor Board.  From their review they plan to define with clarity the severity of my condition so that the options that follow can be weighed.


OPTIONS:

  1. Surgery/Biopsy determines it is NOT Cancer (low likelihood...But maybe with your  prayers... NOT finding Cancer is the finding!!).  However...If they do find cancer...the next three options come in to consideration...
  2. Chemo/Radiation: 7 weeks.  Daily out/patient doses about an hour each visit..maybe gets it done.  If not...surgery.  OR...
  3. Micro-Robotic Surgery...followed by Chemo/Radiation; requires less radiation due to the surgery removing all or most of the cancer.  Also would have surgery to remove swollen lymph glands.  OR...
  4. Major Surgery...crack open my jaw and go after it...followed by Chemo/Radiation.  This would be ugly and possibly affect my ability to speak clearly...and taste a good Manhattan.  So this option is one that I hope that I am NOT forced to take.
Any of the Options 2-4 will ultimately scar my throat; and the latter two will remove part of my tongue.  So...they have another test for me to do to provide guidelines to potential therapists to help me "learn to swallow again".:  Video Fluoroscopic Swallowing Exam (VFSE).  Click that to read all about it.  This test is scheduled for March 18th.

If you read this far...I hope you had a cocktail in your hand.  It's 5 O'Clock somewhere.

Thanks for your prayers...they help.
RGB



3 comments:

Bock said...

From: Jeannie m
Subject: RE: Richard Bockwinkel Health Update
Date: March 9, 2014 at 1:29:52 PM CDT

I stand firm on "By His strips we WERE healed", not will be, but WERE and Satan has no ground here to contradict God's Word. Jesus never had a disease and neither can his people. Job went through really tough times, but he stood with God and he never, never had a disease.

Cancer is a disease and in our hearts and our souls we have to stand firm that it can't touch us. You will be perfectly fine and I hold God to His word on that.

Love you my friend
Jeannie

Bock said...

From James B. THANKS...

Praying for you just now. I do not know what GOD has planned for you in this but I know that your faith will get you through it. Keep in mind that Jesus never prayed to the Father to allow him to cure anyone,... he simply commanded it be done and it was.... He once explained that he does not do anything on his own, but only that which the father has shown him He is doing. Diligently seek His face and ask him to show you His will. If His will is you be cured, then demand that is be so. My Prayers will continue with you.

James

Bock said...

On Mar 10, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Dean Rose wrote:

Richard,

It is a small world!!!!!! My cancer was diagnosed as Squamous Cell Carcinoma and after the biopsy they found the primary tumor was at the base of my tongue and had metastasized to the limp systems in both sides of my neck. I was diagnosed with Stage 4B cancer in October of 2001 and the treatment strategy we selected was your option #2; it was a fairly new approach at the time, but twelve years later, I’m living proof it is effective and I have had no surgery to date. It is a very aggressive form of treatment and at the time I didn’t have many options for former patients to discuss their experiences with; other than one person who went with your option # 4 and he guided me away from that treatment option.

My doctors were – Ear, Noise & Throat (Richard Price), Radial Oncologist (Bradley Kauffman) and Medical Oncologist (Johnson County East Oncologists – Sukumar Ethirajan). I worked with KU Medical Center to establish my dental treatment requirements – pre and post treatment. This is critical as it took 18 months to get my dental costs covered by my medical insurance due to the type of treatment you will be receiving with all available options. In reviewing your website it appears you have a wonderful support team; but I would like to offer to be part of your team. I know how much I wish I had someone available back then that had gone through the experience, just to provide input and help me with what to expect and answer questions on a personal level and not just from a medical point of view. Again, if there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to let me know. Good luck and please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Regards, Dean